Skip to content
November 1, 2010 / thevegmeg

5k Recap!

Oh man.

Oh, man.

Oh man!

I did it! I finished the Spinx 5k without walking!

I jogged really, really slowly, and some walkers were actually passing me, but I kept my little legs moving and jogged the entire race. Here’s how the day went…

I rolled out of bed at 6 am and started hydrating and loosening my stiff, sleepy body up with a few acting warmups! Then I had breakfast…

Oatnut toast with chocolate almond butter and sliced strawberries. Typical.

I’ve never really run after having breakfast so I was a little worried, but I knew I needed to have something in me if I wanted to not die, so I just ate what I’d normally eat, but almost three hours before the race so it wouldn’t still be hanging out in my tummy and giving me cramps. It worked!


We tried to get to the stadium (starting & finishing line) by 7:30 for a meetup with CaitlinHTP and others but we didn’t actually get there til about…7:50. We got to watch the starts of the marathon and the half marathon, and then there was time to pee, stretch a little, try to get warm, and then give up our warm, fuzzy pants. Alex kept his sweater but I knew I’d be dying, eventually, if I kept mine, so I gave it up too. I wore a wide headband under my baseball cap to keep my ears warm, and my blue-striped mittens, which I took off near the first mile.

Most of the course was uphill. Alex and I had planned to stay together the entire race, which is kind of difficult for him because he can run a lot faster than me for the same amount of effort. We got separated early on, but he slowed down and backtracked to get back to me – I was pacing myself really slowly, hoping I’d be able to jog the whole thing. The route went past the park we got married in – it was near the halfway point! – and we held hands as we passed it, awww.

Right after the park the half/marathon course met up with the 5k course for a block or two and it was really cool to get to run next to some of those machines for a while, up a huge hill! The course looped back up to Main Street and then we were following the way we came… I took a cup of Gatorade at the only aid station (mile 2ish?) but the cup was so full and it was so COLD I could barely choke any of it down. The last hill rising up to the stadium felt awful. My chest was starting to hurt, it was getting a little harder to breathe, and my legs were just tired. But I knew I didn’t want to give up when the end was so close!

We finally got to the last turn before we entered the stadium (the finish of the race was basically running the bases!) and my mother- and father-in-law were standing there cheering us on and taking pictures! Alex was able to toss them his sweater (with my mittens inside) to hold so he wouldn’t have it for the finish picture. They went in side and were there as we came up to the very last 50 or so feet of the race taking more pictures, which I’m so thankful for!!

I had hoped we’d be able to sprint the last stretch, but my legs were just not having it. We crossed the finish line together at an official time of 42:15, which is a 13:37 mile pace. Not bad for rookies who thought they’d have to walk half of it! The best part is that I could not stop smiling the entire race!

After the race we had to..climb a set of stairs to get up into the stadium. I was expecting it but my brain forgot about it during all the running and it was not a fun thing to be met with. When we finally got up the stairs we got in line for some refreshments.. I had half a banana, a water bottle, a piece of lemon-poppyseed bread, and a cup of grapes. I was surprised I could even eat at all, but my body was ravenous for that food!

We sat around in the stadium for a little while, watching the first half-marathoners finish, and then we trudged back to the car and came home. I had a green monster (frozen banana, strawberries, spinach, orange juice, almond milk) to try to refuel my body…

Then I showered and passed out for about three hours and did nothing the rest of the day besides eat pizza, take a bath, and stretch. It was perfect.



Leave a Comment
  1. sweettater / Nov 1 2010 10:43 am


  2. Poppy @ From Fried Chicken to Tofu / Nov 14 2010 1:31 pm

    Just wanted to say congrats! I’m getting ready to run my first 5K in a few weeks…good to read about another newbie actually finishing!

    • thevegmeg / Nov 14 2010 8:47 pm

      Thank you! You’re gonna do great!


  1. Tweets that mention 5k Recap! « the veg meg --
  2. Farewell, 2010! « the veg meg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: